Website Acorn Training Ltd
The primary responsibility of the Construction Skills Tutor is to deliver high-quality teaching, learning and assessment to adult learners wishing to pursue future careers in the construction industry. You will play a crucial role in equipping learners with the necessary skills, knowledge, and practical experience to excel in various construction trades. Your expertise will contribute to the development of a skilled workforce, fostering employability and driving the growth and success of our construction training programmes.
• Plan, prepare and deliver high-quality teaching and learning sessions, workshops, and tutorials in line with the curriculum requirements and the needs of individual learners, ensuring learning objectives are met.
• Assess learners’ abilities and identify areas for improvement, tailoring teaching and learning methods and resources accordingly.
• Develop and deliver consistently engaging and interactive sessions, utilising a variety of teaching techniques and materials to enhance learners’ understanding and engagement with the subject/topic.
• Provide individualised support to learners, addressing their specific learning needs and challenges through one-on-one meetings and additional learning resources.
• Rigorously monitor and track learners’ progress, providing regular feedback and implementing strategies to address areas of weakness or underperformance.
• Set and mark assignments, tests, and examinations, providing constructive feedback to learners to support their learning and improvement.
• Collaborate with other team members to share best practices, contribute to curriculum development, and participate in team meetings and training sessions.
• Establish and maintain a positive and inclusive learning environment, actively promoting learner participation, motivation, and confidence in professional development.
• Maintain accurate records of learners’ attendance, progress, and assessment outcomes, ensuring compliance with regulatory and internal requirements.
• Communicate regularly with learners, employers, and relevant stakeholders to provide updates on progress, address concerns, and foster effective partnerships in support of learner success.
• Stay abreast of the latest developments in sector specialism, curriculum changes, and teaching methodologies, continuously updating own knowledge and skills.
Key Performance Indicators
• High levels of learner attendance and engagement in sessions.
• High levels of learner progress from their starting point.
• High completion and achievement rates.
• Consistently good or better teaching, learning and assessment practice.
• Timely and accurate assessment decisions and feedback.
• Adherence to curriculum requirements and quality standards.
• Collaboration and teamwork with colleagues.
• Compliance with organisational policies and procedures.
• Professional development and continuous improvement.
• High levels of learner and stakeholder satisfaction.
Health and Safety
• You will ensure you follow all Acorn Training health and safety guidelines and fire regulations set out in the polices, follow safe working practices, and complete all mandatory training requirements.
• Be aware of and follow all Acorn Training policies.
• Have regular 121’s throughout the year to monitor performance, objectives and progress and support your personal development and wellbeing.
• Take part in any required training needed to fulfil your role.
• Commitment to the Professional Standards – Values and Attributes, Professional Knowledge and Understanding and Professional Skills.
• Promote and uphold the principles, policies, and all relevant statutory requirements, including the Equality Act, the HASWA, GDPR and Safeguarding, including Prevent.
• Undertake such other duties as may be required from time to time commensurate with the level of the post.
Qualifications and specific training
• Minimum Level 3 teaching learning and assessment qualification, such as AET or PTLLS. (essential)
• Level 3 or above subject specialism (essential)
• Level 3 CAVA or equivalent (essential)
• GCSE (or equivalent) in English Language and Mathematics (essential)
• Full Driving Licence (essential)
• Level 4 IQA or equivalent (desirable)
• L5 teaching qualification or willingness to work toward. (desirable)
• First Aid at Work Certificate (desirable)
• IOSH Health and Safety Qualification Experience (desirable)
• Extensive hands-on experience and a strong track record in the construction industry. (essential)
• Teaching or training experience, with the ability to convey complex technical information effectively. (essential)
• Previous experience working as a construction skills tutor or in a similar training role. (desirable)
• Experience in curriculum development and educational material creation. (desirable)
• Sound knowledge of construction techniques, industry regulations, and health and safety protocols. (essential)
• A strong network within the construction industry for potential industry partnerships. (essential)
• Excellent communication and interpersonal skills to engage and connect with learners. (essential)
• Effective organisational skills to plan, prepare, and deliver effective training sessions. (essential)
• Patience, adaptability, and the ability to tailor teaching, learning and assessment methods to various learning styles. (essential)
• IT literacy for creating and maintaining digital training resources. (essential)