Website Acorn Training Ltd
18.75 hours a week
The primary purpose of the Vocational Skills Tutor role is to deliver exceptional teaching, learning, and assessment experiences tailored to adult learners aiming to acquire new skills for enhanced career progression. Specialising in engineering, manufacturing, or lean techniques, you will impart specialised knowledge while fostering a dynamic and supportive learning environment that empowers adult learners to reskill effectively. By combining expertise in these subjects with a deep understanding of adult learning methodologies, you will play a pivotal role in equipping learners with the practical abilities and theoretical insights necessary to excel in their chosen career paths.
• Plan, prepare and deliver high-quality teaching and learning sessions, workshops, and tutorials in line with the curriculum requirements and the needs of individual learners, ensuring learning objectives are met.
• Assess learners’ abilities and identify areas for improvement, tailoring teaching and learning methods and resources accordingly.
• Develop and deliver consistently engaging and interactive sessions, utilising a variety of teaching techniques and materials to enhance learners’ understanding and engagement with the subject/topic.
• Provide individualised support to learners, addressing their specific learning needs and challenges through one-on-one meetings and additional learning resources.
• Rigorously monitor and track learners’ progress, providing regular feedback and implementing strategies to address areas of weakness or underperformance.
• Set and mark assignments, tests, and examinations, providing constructive feedback to learners to support their learning and improvement.
• Collaborate with other team members to share best practices, contribute to curriculum development, and participate in team meetings and training sessions.
• Establish and maintain a positive and inclusive learning environment, actively promoting learner participation, motivation, and confidence in professional development.
• Maintain accurate records of learners’ attendance, progress, and assessment outcomes, ensuring compliance with regulatory and internal requirements.
• Communicate regularly with learners, employers, and relevant stakeholders to provide updates on progress, address concerns, and foster effective partnerships in support of learner success.
• Stay abreast of the latest developments in sector specialism, curriculum changes, and teaching methodologies, continuously updating own knowledge and skills.
Key Performance Indicators
• High levels of learner attendance and engagement in sessions.
• High levels of learner progress from their starting point.
• High completion and achievement rates.
• Consistently good or better teaching, learning and assessment practice.
• Timely and accurate assessment decisions and feedback.
• Adherence to curriculum requirements and quality standards.
• Collaboration and teamwork with colleagues.
• Compliance with organisational policies and procedures.
• Professional development and continuous improvement.
• High levels of learner and stakeholder satisfaction.
Health and Safety
• You will ensure you follow all Acorn Training health and safety guidelines and fire regulations set out in the polices, follow safe working practices, and complete all mandatory training requirements.
• Be aware of and follow all Acorn Training policies.
• Have regular 121’s throughout the year to monitor performance, objectives and progress and support your personal development and wellbeing.
• Take part in any required training needed to fulfil your role.
• Commitment to the Professional Standards – Values and Attributes, Professional Knowledge and Understanding and Professional Skills.
• Promote and uphold the principles, policies, and all relevant statutory requirements, including the Equality Act, the HASWA, GDPR and Safeguarding, including Prevent.
• Undertake such other duties as may be required from time to time commensurate with the level of the post.
Qualifications and specific training
• A relevant bachelor’s degree in engineering or a related discipline (essential)
• Minimum Level 5 teaching learning and assessment qualification, such as DTTLS, CertEd or PGCE. (essential)
• Level 3 CAVA qualification or equivalent (essential)
• GCSE (or equivalent) in English Language and Mathematics (essential)
• Full Driving Licence (essential)
• Level 4 IQA or equivalent (desirable)
• Relevant industry certifications in Lean manufacturing, Six Sigma, or other related disciplines (desirable)
• Significant and recent hands-on experience working in the engineering or manufacturing sector. (essential)
• Prior experience in delivering vocational training, workshops, or courses, ideally in a classroom or workshop setting. (essential)
• Experience in designing and developing training materials, lesson plans, and assessments to meet the specific needs of vocational learners. (essential)
• Experience in conducting research related to engineering, manufacturing, or educational practices. (desirable)
• Experience in teaching learners from diverse backgrounds, including adult learners or individuals with different learning needs. (desirable)
• Thorough understanding of engineering principles, manufacturing processes, and relevant technical concepts. (essential)
• In-depth knowledge of Lean principles, tools, and techniques used in manufacturing and process improvement. (essential)
• Up-to-date knowledge of the latest trends, technologies, and advancements in the engineering and manufacturing sectors. (essential)
• Excellent communication and interpersonal skills to engage and connect with learners. (essential)
• Effective organisational skills to plan, prepare, and deliver effective training sessions. (essential)
• Patience, adaptability, and the ability to tailor teaching, learning and assessment methods to various learning styles. (essential)
• Strong analytical and problem-solving skills to address technical challenges and guide students in practical problem-solving exercises. (essential)
• Proficiency in relevant software tools and technologies commonly used in the engineering and manufacturing fields. (essential)
• Proficiency in developing instructional materials, presentations, and assessments for digital and in-person teaching. (desirable)