* Possesses drive, grit & determination having failed the 11-plus exam in 1970!
* Very good writing and oral skills. Not risk-averse. Has vision, vitality, & ideas. 'Can Walk the Walk'
as well as 'Talk the Talk'.
* Media savvy, Perma-tanned, John Lewis man. Dubbed Eccentric, a 'bit cracked', but possesses 'peculiar
talents' according to the late Professor Jim Bulpitt of Warwick University.
* Published over 600
Feature Articles in Print and Social Media since 2013.
* Regular columnist ncjMedia Ltd (The Journal) , Northern Echo, PSE, Labour Vision, Labour List, LGA First since April 2013.
* Generally personable and can work effectively in all team settings.
* Competent consistent Ofsted Grade 2 ('Good') teacher in all relevant curriculum areas & Leadership
strand in 'Equality & Diversity' consistent Ofsted Grade 2 ('Very Good') in 2003.
* Veteran Newcastle City Councillor - majority increased from 142 in 2002 to almost 2000 in 2015!.
* Good representational and advocacy skills acquired through role as a City Councillor & GE
* Competent Public Relations Consultant - skills acquired as a Parliamentary Candidate: Berwick-Upon-
Tweed 1986-87, Roxburgh & Berwickshire 1990-92, Newcastle Central Labour Party 1999-2003 &
Learning First 2012-13. Over 4,000 News Releases published in print and new media.
“If we are to overcome the divisions in society, all need to feel valued. We should stop talking about social mobility as a way of 'rescuing' people from working-class backgrounds and place more emphasis on valuing the full range of worthwhile occupations.” - Barnaby Lenon ‘Other People’s Children’ (2018.)
"Imagine a world where leaders are able to pass power directly to their children. These kids are plucked from nurseries and sent to beautiful compounds far away from all other children. They are provided with all the teachers they need, the best facilities, doctors and food. Every day they are told this is because they are the brightest and most important children in the world.
GIRLS are outperforming boys at every stage of the educational system. They do better than boys in National curriculum SAT tests. Girls are more successful than boys in virtually every GCSE subject at 16 including traditional ‘male' subjects like Maths and Physics.
EARLIER this year central government formally unveiled a plan to carry out pilot ID checks at polling stations across the country. This took place in some parts of the country in May 2018. The Government are thinking whether to roll this out nationally. Ministers claimed that electoral fraud, intimidation and impersonation are endemic in the UK electoral system.
UNLIKE the fascism of the interwar years, the Teesside University historian Paul Stocker argues in his latest book, "English Uprising Brexit And The Mainstreaming Of The Far-Right" that the re-emergence of the extreme populist right is a cultural rather than just an economic phenomenon.
THE term ‘youth-culture’ or ‘teenage culture’ was first coined in the 1950s in America and was later exported to Britain in 1959. Many writers at the time believed rightly or wrongly that a "a society within a society" was slowly evolving and that it posed a threat to mainstream values and norms. In other words, ‘a generation gap’ had opened up in both countries.
DISCOVERY School, the first Free school in Newcastle, will close its doors this summer following a damning Ofsted report which revealed plummeting standards, weak leadership and dangerous, ‘’riotous’’ behaviour amongst a significant minority of its pupils.