Today in London, the British Nutrition Foundation (BNF) recognised the outstanding achievements of the top food and nutrition students and teachers from UK schools and colleges, during its annual Education Awards.
The BNF established the Education Awards scheme in 1990 to promote interest in, and raise awareness of, good practice in food and nutrition. This year prizes were awarded to the students who received the highest grades in food and nutrition subjects by their respective examination boards – AQA, CCEA, Edexcel, OCR, SQA, WJEC. The BNF also recognised and rewarded the hard work and dedication of each winning student's teacher.
The BNF’s patron, Her Royal Highness The Princess Royal, attended the ceremony to present the awards and each student received a cash prize for themselves and their school.
Roy Ballam, Managing Director and Head of Education, BNF, comments: “Every year our Education Awards provide us with the rare opportunity to recognise some of the UK’s brightest students and most diligent teachers, who are driving the future of nutrition science. It is excellent to see so many of the successful students and schools demonstrating an ongoing commitment to their food and nutrition studies – Derby High School’s Tanveer Sangra received a GCSE prize in 2015, and returned again this year, winning the OCR A-level award. Another student winner, Katie Cicirko from Woldgate School, is currently doing a degree apprenticeship in Food Science and Technology, and Rachel Cockburn from Larbert High School is now studying Human Nutrition and Dietetics at Glasgow Caledonian University.”
“This year marks the BNF’s 50th anniversary, and the Education Awards is a key part of our history – we look forward to many more years celebrating nutrition excellence in UK education.”
The BNF Education Award 2017 student and teacher winners for GCSE and Scotland’s National 5 winners were:
- Eleanor Watson (AQA) and Sarah Mellors – Alcester Academy
- Alana Atkinson (CCEA) and Melanie Watson – Rainey Endowed School
- Cara Hilton (Edexcel) and Emma James – Urmston Grammar School
- Amelia Bowen (OCR) and Nicky Hayes – Weydon School
- Neve Kellacher (SQA) and Sine Greatorex – Holy Rood RC High School
- Kathryn Mell (WJEC) and Judith Carr – Southend High School for Girls
The BNF Education Award 2017 student and teacher winners for A Level and Scotland’s Advanced Higher were:
- Hannah Edeson (AQA) and Anne Stanesby – Driffield School
- Kathleen Smartt (CCEA) and Claire Thomson (Sullivan Upper School)
- Katie Cicirko (Edexcel) and Heather Stanford – Woldgate School
- Tanveer Sangra (OCR) and Catryn Macdonald
- Rachel Cockburn (SQA) – Larbert High School
- Eleanor Burt (WJEC) and Sarah Souter – Exmouth Community College