The Chartered Institute of Marketing (CIM) has announced a student team from the University of Strathclyde as winners of its student competition, The Pitch.
Roxanne Colinet and Ellen Grieve - ‘Strath Gen Z’ – beat 53 teams who registered for the awards from across the UK to be crowned ‘Marketers of the Future’ at last night’s Marketing Excellence Awards at Grosvenor House Hotel in London.
Now in its seventh year, The Pitch challenges students from leading universities to respond to a live client brief to win the title of 'Marketers of the Future'. It is designed specifically to help accelerate the career of students studying a marketing or business degree, by developing their presentation, communication and problem-solving skills.
This year teams put forward ideas to help Wilkinson Sword enhance the appeal of its shaving range to a younger audience. The judging panel included marketing experts from Wilkinson Sword, UNILAD, Mintel and CIM, as well as Helen Edwards, columnist at Marketing Week.
Roxanne and Ellen, who study International Business and Business respectively, impressed the judges with their creative approach to the brief. Their ‘Do it For You’ campaign promoted a Wilkinson Sword genderless range through digital and traditional media.
Speaking at the Marketing Excellence Awards, Ellen Grieve said:
“We’re very excited, it’s been a great experience all around, and it’s such a good opportunity for students. It’s great to be able to put our learning into practice.”
Teammate Roxanne Colinet added:
“We’re so honoured to have been recognised at the Awards amongst so many leading marketers and now we feel like we can do anything.”
Gemma Butler, Associate Marketing Director at CIM said:
“The Pitch reflects a growing focus in the graduate job market on practical experience, and helps graduates coming into the workplace to build the marketing skills they need.
“It’s been fantastic to see such student talent from across the UK on display. Congratulations to Strath Gen Z, whose creativity and understanding of their customer clinched them the title. If today’s finalists are anything to go by, the future of marketing is in safe hands.”
- REVolution, Birmingham City University
- Cut Throat Marketing, University of Central Lancashire
- The Alter Egos, University of Huddersfield
- Met-marketers: In the Loop, Cardiff Metropolitan University
- Team Protégé, Cardiff Metropolitan University
- Met Marketing Magicians, Cardiff Metropolitan University
- HUBS, University of Hull
- Fort.Stratagem, Swansea University
- The Market Ears, University of Sheffield
- Gladius, University of Strathclyde
- Strath Gen Z, University of Strathclyde
- Paradigm, Bournemouth University
About CIM: The Chartered Institute of Marketing (CIM) is the world’s leading marketing body. CIM’s mission is create marketing advantage for the benefit of professionals, business and society with a focus on export, data and skills. It believes marketing is the critical factor in driving long term organisational performance.
CIM provides members and organisations with five key benefits:
- Partnership – CIM is a professional and organisational partner to support performance and career development
- Education – CIM allows individuals and businesses to continuously upskill
- Information – CIM keeps members up to date with the latest marketing thinking, and keeps organisations at the forefront of practices
- Connection – CIM provides access to services, expertise and peers
- Recognition – CIM is the global benchmark of professional competence
For more than 100 years, CIM has supported, represented and developed marketers, teams, leaders and the profession as a whole. There are 130 CIM study centres in 36 countries and exam centres in 132 countries worldwide. In the last year, over 7,500 people registered at over 230 UK CIM events.
About Wilkinson Sword®: Is it too much to ask that shaving actually be a more enjoyable experience that cares for your skin? We think not. Which is why our Wilkinson Sword® brand makes shaving more effortless, refreshing, and liberating. For over 100 years, we have been developing products to help give men and women beautiful skin. Today at Wilkinson Sword, we produce three, four, and five-blade razors with a focus on innovation and built-in skin moisturising benefits. To find out more on the range of products head to .
For more information on The Pitch, please view here: