DfE today (1 May) published information about non-executive appointments to the Department for Education’s public bodies.
Social Work England Chair
Lord Patel of Bradford has been appointed as the Chair of Social Work England. Social Work England will be the new regulator for all child, family and adult social workers in England.
The term of the appointment is for an initial period of 3 years from 19 March 2018. The appointment will involve a time commitment of 10 to 12 days a month in the setup phase, reducing to one day a month once Social Work England starts regulating the social work profession. Remuneration is £450 a day.
This appointment is made in accordance with the Cabinet Office’s Governance Code for Public Appointments. The regulation of public appointments against the requirements of this code is carried out by the commissioner for public appointments.
This appointment is made on merit and political activity played no part in the decision process. However, in accordance with the code, there is a requirement for appointees’ political activity (if any declared) to be made public. Lord Patel of Bradford was a Labour peer until his appointment as Chair of Social Work England. On appointment he chose to change his affiliation from Labour to Non-Affiliated.
Social Work England will be established as a Non Departmental Body of the Department for Education. The appointment of the Chair is made jointly by the Secretary of State for Education and the Secretary of State for Health & Social Care.
The Department for Education’s public bodies include:
- Adoption Leadership Board
- Child Safeguarding Practise Review Panel
- Children’s Commissioner for England
- Construction Industry Training Board
- Engineering Construction Industry Training Board
- Equality and Human Rights Commission
- Film Industry Training Board
- Further Education Commissioners Office
- Her Majesty’s Chief Inspector of Education, Children’s Services and Skills
- Higher Education Funding Council for England
- Information Standards Board, Chair
- Institute for Apprenticeships
- Independent Assessors for Student Finance, Appeals and Complaints
- Members of Professional Misconduct Panels for Teachers
- Office for Fair Access
- Office of Qualifications and Examinations Regulation
- Office for Standards in Education, Children’s Services and Skills
- School Teachers’ Review Body
- Social Mobility Commission
- Social Work England
- Student Loans Company Ltd