Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEND) and the health sector: Education Committee – Tuesday 5th March at 10am
The Education Committee’s latest evidence hearing for their inquiry on special educational needs and disabilities will be a round-table discussion with representatives from the health sector, including Caroline Dinenage, Minister of State for Care, about the issues facing the health sector when supporting children with SEND.
The Committee’s SEND inquiry is examining the impact of the reforms introduced in the Children and Families Act 2014. Tuesday’s evidence session is likely to examine how the SEND reforms were developed with health services, how health services are delivering on the SEND reforms, and whether changes are necessary to deliver on the intention of these reforms.
Future sessions of the SEND inquiry will include hearing from young people with SEND as well as examining issues including tribunals and mediation. In May, the Education Committee will question representatives from local authorities East Sussex and Newham about the implementation of the SEND reforms.
Tuesday 5th March at 10am, Committee Room 6
This round-table discussion will be broadcast live on Parliament TV.
- Caroline Dinenage, Minister of State for Care, Department of Health and Social Care [written evidence submission SCN0586]
- Fran Oram, Director for mental health, dementia and disabilities, Department of Health and Social Care
- Michelle Morris, Consultant Speech and Language Therapist / Clinical Lead for Enhanced Service Development / Designated Clinical Officer – Salford CCG (representing the Royal College of Speech and Language Therapists) [SCN0500]
- Dr Sally Payne, Professional Adviser – Children, Young People and Families, Royal College of Occupational Therapists [SCN0439]
- Steve Inett, CEO, Healthwatch Kent
- Dr Tracey Crockford, Associate Specialist Community Paediatrician, Designated Medical Officer for SEND, West Cheshire
- Professor Jacqueline Dunkley-Bent OBE, Head of Maternity Children & Young People– Nursing Directorate, NHS England [SCN672]