Presented by the Chief Executive of the Federation of Awarding Bodies, Tom Bewick, #SkillsWorld Live is a new radio show that builds on the popular #SkillsWorld podcast series, where Tom interviews leading figures shaping the post-compulsory education and skills systems, including apprenticeships in the UK, and across the world.
Tom will call guests at an allocated date and time to discuss a pre-agreed topic for 5 to 10 mins.
Please let us know if there is an important topic you would like to debate that we haven’t included yet!
- Are we doing enough to safeguard and retain our apprenticeship talent pool?
- When should the lockdown end, what will the biggest impact have been?
- Is Covid-19 causing training providers to go to the wall?
- Is the Department for Education doing a good job during the crisis?
- What should Labour’s new shadow ministerial team campaign on?
- Should parents be paid extra child benefit for home schooling their kids during the lockdown?
- Has the government got the balance right between public health and unemployment, including allowing viable businesses go to the wall?
- Will new technology and virtual working change the face of FE forever?
- Is teacher-led assessment in the summer examinations here to stay after the crisis?
- Have the police been too heavy handed during the lockdown?
- Should Ofsted be scrapped?
- Will the cost of dealing with Coronavirus lead to a new age of austerity?
- Should the apprenticeship levy be scrapped?
- Should the furlough scheme be extended beyond three months?
- Are the universities giving out too many unconditional offers to students?
- Is the Augar review now dead and buried?
- Will all examinations be online and taken at home within 10 years?
- Have other parts of the UK done a better job at looking after the skills sector and Careers Advice than England?
- Would it be better to focus apprenticeships on the below 25 age group, not taking a degree?
- Will the Coronavirus be good for solving the productivity puzzle?
- To help colleges and universities recruit more EU students, should the Brexit transition period be extended?
- Has the reinstatement of a new minister for skills and apprenticeships made any difference to the sector?
- Are individual skills accounts a good idea?
- Is the government using Covid-19 to nationalise England’s the post-16 skills system?
- Where is the student and apprenticeship voice in shaping skills policy? (e.g. should 16-year olds be given the vote?)
- Is devolution of adult skills budgets in England and the devolved administrations a waste of time and money?
- Mental Health and Wellbeing for Students and Staff
- Continual Professional Development - for individuals and staff
- Levelling Up - Re-evaluation of "low skilled" jobs in society - shifting labour market dynamics. Impact of remote learning on marginalised groups, rural location, additional learning needs etc.
- Fourth Industrial revolution - Employability and recruitment
- Health and safety for key-workers
- Accelerated uptake of EdTech / steep learning curve
- Coping with remote learning / working - general advice and legal implications
- Community support - provided by colleges, universities and training providers, ie providing accommodation, equipment, meals, producing innovative solutions etc.
- Teaching English online
Tune in to #SkillsWorldLIVE 7-8pm Thursdays during term time and subscribe here for notifications!
Week commencing the 21st April
Episode 1: Is the calculated grades approach to summer examinations fair on students? - 23rd Apil 7-8pm (BST)
Episode 2: Should the skills sector get its own bailout? - 24th Apil 7-8pm (BST)
Week commencing the 27th April
Episode 3: When should the schools reopen? - 27th Apil 7-8pm (BST)
Episode 4: Would it be better to delay T-Levels by a year? - 28th Apil 7-8pm (BST)
Episode 5: Are too many apprenticeships in England low quality? - 29th Apil 7-8pm (BST)
Episode 6: Are we training enough people for our NHS? (Thurs NHS) - 30th Apil 7-8pm (BST)
Episode 7: Should we abolish the target of sending 50% of young people to university? - 1st May 7-8pm (BST)
Week commencing the 4th May
Episode 8: Starts falling for Apprenticeships: What's all the fuss about? - 4th May 7-8pm (BST)
Episode 9: How do we prepare for September's New Normal? - 5th May 7-8pm (BST)
Episode 10: How will Covid 19 widened the disadvantage and attainment gap? - 6th May 7-8pm (BST)
Episode 11: What should the priorities be for the Skills Sector? - 7th May 7-8pm (BST)
Happy VE Day! Van Allen's 1 hour Dance mix 7-8pm on 8th May
Week commencing the 11th May
Episode 12: Why bother teaching face-to-face, if online teaching is just as successful? - 11th May 7-8pm (BST)
Episode 13: Will Youth Unemployment hit 50% post COVID-19? Tues 12th May 7-8pm (BST)
Episode 14: In the future will the british economy rely on having more scientist or creatives - Weds 13th May 7-8pm (BST)
Chance to catch up with: Starts falling for Apprenticeships: What's all the fuss about? - Thurs 14th May 7-8pm (BST)
Episode 15: Are Apprenticeship and Students getting a good deal? Fri 15th May 7-8pm (BST)
Week commencing the 18th May
Episode 16: How do we get Britain Training? Mon 18th 7-8pm (BST)
Episode 17: Will the FE Whitepaper result in the nationalisation of Colleges? Tues 19th 7-8pm (BST)
Episode 18: What is the future of funding and quality for Apprenticeships? Wed 20th 7-8pm (BST)
Episode 19: Should there be a Youth Guarantee? Thurs 21st 7-8pm (BST)
Episode 20: How will COVID 19 impact the skills needed for the fourth industrial? Fri 22nd 7-8pm (BST)
Week commencing the 1st June 2020
Episode 25: College of the Future. Monday 1st June 2020 7-8pm (BST)
Episode 26: Do we need to change the inspection regime for providers? Tuesday 2nd June 2020 7-8pm (BST)
Episode 27: How are other countries skills systems battling the pandemic? Wed 3rd June 2020 7-8pm (BST)
Episode 28: How do we ensure the safety and well being of staff and students? Thurs 4th June 2020 7-8pm (BST)
Episode 29: Preparing for the new normal a sector wide viewpoint. Friday 5th June 2020 7-8pm (BST)
Week commencing the 25th May 2020
Van Allen - Bank Holiday Groove Mix. Mon 25th 7-8pm (BST)
Episode 21: Careers Advice and Guidance, is it fit for purpose? Tuesday 26th May 7-8pm (BST)
Episode 22: One Year on from Augar, will it happen? Wednesday 27th May 7-8pm (BST)
Episode 23: What will happen to WorldSkills Competitions in the post Covid World? Thursday 28th May 7-8pm (BST)
Episode 24: Covid Secure: Is it safe for pupils to go back to school? Friday 29th May 7-8pm (BST)