Further details about reforms to subcontracting education for learners over 16.
Information on subcontracting reforms for providers of post-16 education and training, who subcontract ESFA funding.
This page is for providers engaged in subcontracting relationships or a provider looking to enter into new subcontracting arrangements.
The guidance provides further detail about the 3 year reform programme to post-16 ESFA funded subcontracted provision.
It includes specific guidance for those charged with governance and templates to make requests to ESFA by Monday 31 May 2021.
Ref: DfE-00103-2020PDF, 261KB, 23 pages
Detail of outcome
Summary of response we received, along with the government’s response outlining the next steps.
We are seeking views on reforming the subcontracting of education and training for learners over the age of 16.
This consultation was held on another website.
This consultation ran from to
Subcontracting education and training for learners over 16 is common. We want to review how we oversee the practice to:
- strengthen our monitoring and improve our assessment of risk
- get involved more quickly and decisively when needed
- make the rules and requirements clearer across post 16 funding
- reduce the volume of subcontracting overall
- stop subcontracting undertaken only for financial reasons
- keep subcontracting that meets special needs and improves access and opportunities for disadvantaged learners
Published 4 February 2020
Last updated 30 June 2020 + show all updates
Added consultation response.