Contact your higher education provider to check whether your situation will change after 31 December 2020.

Brexit transition: new rules for 2021

The UK has left the EU. This page tells you the new rules from 1 January 2021.

It will be updated if there’s new information about the UK’s deal with the EU that affects what you need to do.

Get your personalised list of actions and subscribe to email updates to find out when things change.

For current information, read: Study in the European Union

Completing your studies in the EU from 1 January 2021

  1. Ask your higher education provider whether your situation will change after 31 December 2020.

  2. Read the FCDOliving in guide for the latest information on the country you’re studying in.

You will be eligible for broadly the same support as students from the EU member state you are studying in, as long as you are living there by 31 December 2020 and meet residency requirements.

British citizens studying in the Republic of Ireland will continue to be covered by the Common Travel Area arrangements.

Erasmus+ students already studying in the EU on 1 January 2021

You should be able to continue with your placement as part of the current programme. Speak to your home provider to confirm:

  • your placement will continue
  • if anything will change including whether there will be any additional fees or visa requirements

You should make sure both your home provider and host agree that it is safe to proceed as planned during the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic.

You may need to make changes to your plans or start your placement at a later date if the situation changes.

Contact your provider to let them know of your plans if you need to return early from your placement.

The UK will not be taking part in the future Erasmus+ programme and will be developing the new Turing scheme to support thousands of students to study and work abroad.

Starting a new course in the EU from 1 January 2021

Read the guidance on starting a full degree course in the EU from 1 January 2021 if you’re considering your higher education options.

Before starting your course you should take out comprehensive travel insurance while in the UK. It’s important to make sure all your health needs are covered.

Support when you’re abroad

During the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic you:

  • should be ready to comply with local isolation, testing or quarantine requirements
  • will need to rely on the local healthcare system

Read guidance on what you can do if you need financial help when abroad and who you can contact for support when abroad.

You can contact the nearest British embassy, consulate or high commission or the FCDO in London on 020 7008 1500 for help or advice if you need emergency help from the UK government while overseas because:

  • the country you are in will not allow you to travel back to the UK
  • there are no commercial travel options available

Published 15 March 2019
Last updated 28 December 2020 + show all updates

  1. Updated with confirmation that the UK will not be taking part in the future Erasmus+ programme and added information about the Turing scheme that will replace it.

  2. Added information about travel insurance, making changes to Erasmus+ placements and support when you’re abroad.

  3. Updated the title and summary to clarify that this guidance applies if there’s a no-deal Brexit. The content emphasises the actions you’ll need to take now to prepare for Brexit.

  4. First published.