From education to employment

Former City College student awarded two “Bib Gourmand” entries in Michelin Guide

  • SkillsWorld LIVE is back
  • Canvas In Article Block ad

Local Chef Ben McKellar, who studied Catering at City College Brighton and Hove, has been awarded a Michelin Guide ‘Bib Gourmand’ entry for two premises where he is head chef and owner – The Ginger Fox in Albourne and The Ginger Pig in Hove. The Ginger Fox has only been open for a year while The Ginger Pig has been awarded a Bib Gourmand for the second year in a row. Ben McKellar is the only restaurateur in Sussex to have two of these prestigious awards.

The Michelin Guide is most recognised for its ‘star’ rating but the Michelin Star rated restaurants only make up for 5% of the guide with the other 95% representing the best in the country. Among these establishments are the ‘Bibs’ eateries which have the Bib Gourmand symbol next to their entry. These symbols indicate the inspectors’ favourite establishments, offering high-quality products and services at good value for money.

City College Principal Phil Frier says: "Ben has always been a great ambassador for the College’s catering department and with his growing success, he’s a fantastic role model to the budding chefs who come to study with us. City College is enormously proud of what he’s achieved."

  • Cognassist Masterclass In Article Button MARCH

Ben McKellar says: "It’s such a surprise to have two Bib Gourmands. We put much effort into keeping our menus affordably priced whilst keeping to the highest quality so we are very happy to receive this recognition."

Of his time at City College, Ben adds: "City College gave me a start in the world of cookery and the industry. We learnt how to do things properly and it was a good first rung on the ladder which put me in good stead for running my own business."

 

Recommend0 recommendationsPublished in Skills and apprenticeships

Related Articles

Responses