Cardiff and Vale College student Nadia Hadjali has been crowned UK Student of the Year in a prestigious competition for budding hairdressers.
Nadia, who studies Hairdressing and Beauty Level 2 at CAVC’s Barry salon the Academi, was crowned UK Student of the Year 2016 by the Hairdressing Council; a body that aims to raise standards in the industry. Nadia had to create a “red carpet look” while competing as one of the top eight Level 2 students from colleges and training companies from across the country at the L’Oreal Academy in London.
“Winning this award means the world to me – I feel really, really happy,” Nadia, who lives in Penarth, said. “I’ve always wanted to be a hairdresser since I was a little girl so I have a real passion for my work. I’m really enjoying my time at Cardiff and Vale College and I love the help and support I get from my tutors.”
Nadia’s Course Tutor and Co-ordinator for Hairdressing, Lorraine Spear, said: “Nadia is a Level 2 Hair and Beauty student who is originally from France. She is an inspirational student who is self-motivated and embraces her new career.
“Nadia practices tirelessly to improve her practical skills and this is evident in her practical work and client feedback. She is requested frequently by clients at the Academi and this is due to her hairdressing and customer service skills.”
CAVC Head of Hairdressing, Beauty and Complementary Therapies Ceri Evans said: “We are all so proud of Nadia for winning this UK-wide award – just to get through to the finals is a real achievement. Her ‘red carpet look’ was beautiful, but it was a real close call in the end and it was Nadia’s obvious passion and dedication that impressed the judges and won the day.”
Notes to editors
- Photos show (l-r) Course Tutor and Co-ordinator for Hairdressing Lorraine Spear, Nadia Hadjali and Head of Hairdressing, Beauty and Complementary Therapies Ceri Evans at the professional Academi salon at CAVC’s Colcot Road campus in Barry and Nadia’s “red carpet look” that won her the award
- Cardiff and Vale College is one of the top companies for Equality, Diversity and Inclusion in the National Centre for Diversity’s 2016 Top 100 Index
- Cardiff and Vale College was awarded College of the Year at the 2015 Insider Business and Education Partnership Awards
- Apply now to join CAVC in Sept 2016: visit for details
- Why not follow the latest updates from Cardiff and Vale College on Facebook or Twitter @cavc?
For more information contact:
Tel: 01446 725003. Mob: 07932 770938