The Institute of Bankers, as we were called in 1879, was set up by a small group of bank workers who got together to help gain recognition for workers’ skills. They set up lectures, provided educational resources and put in place a formal qualification – open to any bank worker – to help workers advance their careers.
Since 1879 over 1.5 million people have studied with us, building careers in the sector and developing financial capability and confidence for life.
Alex Fraser, Chief Executive of The London Institute of Banking & Finance says:
“140 years ago, there was very little opportunity to acquire skills and knowledge to move up the career ladder in banking. Our Institute changed all that and created opportunities for promotion based on merit rather than privilege.”
“Today, the skills you need for a career in finance are completely different to even 20 years ago. Workers today need to be digitally savvy and know how to add value in a digital world.”
“Of course, we’ve evolved too – our professional qualifications now span banking, investment, regulated advice and trade finance, to name just a few; we’re a degree-awarding body, with our own university college in the heart of the City; and we provide financial education in schools at GCSE and A Level, as well as working with vulnerable communities to improve financial capability more generally.”
— The London Institute of Banking & Finance (@StudyLIBF) March 11, 2019
- Over 1.5 million people have studied with us since 1879 – building careers in the finance sector and developing financial capability and confidence for life.
- Today we have a global community of over 24,000 members in banking and finance with students and members in 120 countries.
- We work with over 800 schools around the UK to improve financial capability among young people, reaching around 50,000 children a year.
About The London Institute of Banking & Finance:
- The London Institute of Banking & Finance has been at the heart of the finance sector since 1879. We’re a registered charity, incorporated by Royal Charter.
- We’re the awarding body for industry qualifications covering a wide range of subjects, including banking, regulation, asset finance, trade finance, investment and regulated advice; in the UK and internationally.
- We’re a specialist university, providing undergraduate and postgraduate degrees for students aiming to pursue a career in banking and finance. We’re unique in that our Faculty are academics with industry backgrounds.
- We’re an approved degree and higher level apprenticeship provider.
- And we’re the only provider of personal finance qualifications for children and young people at GCSE and A Level, helping them to develop vital money management skills for life.