From education to employment

Studying in the European Union after #Brexit

Advice for students, school leavers and UK nationals who want to start or continue higher education study in any European Union (EU) country after the UK leaves the EU.

Speak to your higher education provider if you are:

  • currently on an overseas placement as part of a course at a UK higher education provider (either within or outside the Erasmus+ scheme)
  • currently studying a course in the EU
  • considering studying in the EU

For information about travel to the EU after Brexit, you should:

You can also find information on student finance arrangements in a no deal scenario.

Read our guidance on continuing your studies in the EU if you are a UK national currently studying an undergraduate or postgraduate course in the EU.

Read the FCO ‘Living in’ guide for the country where you would like to study to see how you could be affected after Brexit.


Erasmus+ is the EU funding programme for education, youth, training and sport.

You need to apply for a placement via your home institution, who will be able to talk you through your options.

The government underwrite guarantee will cover the payment of awards to UK applicants for all successful Erasmus+ bids. Students who are abroad on the day the UK leaves the EU should be able to continue their placements.

You should speak to your home institution if you want further information and to discuss your placement.

Other options for study abroad

There are other schemes available for people who would like to study overseas, including those run by individual higher education providers.

Speak to your home institution to find out which ones you are eligible for and get more information.

Student funding

Student Finance England does not provide support for students studying a higher education course where that course is wholly provided abroad. This will not change after the UK leaves the EU.

Where funding is unavailable from Student Finance England, funding for studying a full course abroad will vary depending on which country you are planning to go to. You may be able to apply for a scholarship or funding from your prospective provider.

Ask the course provider’s admissions office about any relevant funding scheme or bursaries before applying to a course.If you normally live in England; are enrolled on a course here designated for funding; and are studying abroad for a period as part of that course, you may be eligible for student funding. This could include:

If you normally live in Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland find out what funding may be available to you:

Stay up to date

This page tells you how you will be affected if there’s a no-deal Brexit. It will be updated if anything changes, including if a deal is agreed.

Sign up for email alerts to get the latest information.

Help and advice

UK Erasmus+ National Agency website – information on Erasmus+

UCAS – information on studying overseas and how to apply

The Scholarship hub – finding scholarships in the UK and abroad

British Council – information on options for studying overseas

Universities UK – information on international study programmes linked with UK universities

Prospects – information about types of scholarships available

NARIC – information on the recognition and comparison of international qualifications and skills.

Published 20 December 2018
Last updated 19 August 2019 + show all updates

  1. Format updates have been made to highlight actions that people need to take. A link has also been added that allows people to sign up for email alerts to get the latest information about Brexit.
  2. First published.

Related Articles