Guidance for UK nationals studying in the EU, in the event that the UK leaves the EU without a deal.

If you are a UK national studying in the EU, there are a number of things you should consider in the event of a no deal scenario. These include your

  • residency rights
  • access to healthcare
  • tuition fee status at your EU institution

You should speak to your higher education provider in the first instance about completing your studies in the EU. They will be able to advise you about all of the above.

This guidance applies to UK national students studying undergraduate and postgraduate courses in the EU.

If you are currently on an Erasmus+ placement, please refer to the guidance on student finance in a no deal scenario.


The UK has reassured EU citizens and their relevant family members living in the UK that they will be able to stay in the event of a no deal scenario. The UK has also been working with EU counterparts to urge them to make the same commitment to protect the rights of UK nationals in the EU.

Most EU countries have put in place guarantees to ensure UK students can continue their studies even in the event that the UK leave the EU without a deal.

Completing your studies in the EU

Your circumstances in the event that the UK leaves the EU without a deal will vary depending on where (both country and higher education provider) you are studying. We advise that you speak to your current higher education provider for more information to understand the specific arrangements for the EU Member State where you are studying.

Based on the conversation with your higher education provider you should:

  • make sure you are registered as resident in the Member State in which you are studying before exit day. Details on how you can do this are available in the FCO ‘Living in’ guides

  • check whether there has been a change to your tuition fee

  • check guidance on healthcare and immigration requirements in the EU Member State in which you are studying, to ensure your eligibility for healthcare and your residency status remain the same.

Returning to the UK to complete your studies

Depending on the outcome of your discussion with your higher education provider, you may need to make a decision on your options.

The Office for Students can signpost you to information on how to transfer to a UK higher education provider should you wish to.

This will help you understand all of your options ahead of the start of the next academic year, commencing in August 2019.

If you are considering returning to the UK to complete your studies, it will be important for you to collect documentation from your EU higher education provider. This will be of assistance should you wish to apply and transfer to a UK higher education provider.

This includes:

  • transcripts of study
  • qualification documentation
  • evidence or certification of units and modules completed (if possible)

Changes to your finances

If you return to the UK to complete your year of study after the UK leaves the EU, you may be eligible for student finance support to complete your studies in the UK.

For more information, you may wish to contact the relevant student funding body in the UK country where you lived prior to your study at an EU institution (for example, Student Finance England).

Read our guidance on eligibility for student finance in a no deal scenario.

Published 15 March 2019 Contents