Information on how teaching schools, NLEs and NLGs designations are reviewed, the impact of a designation removal and how to appeal a decision.
PDF, 116KB, 3 pages
MS Word Document, 71.7KB
This file may not be suitable for users of assistive technology. Request an accessible format.
If you use assistive technology (such as a screen reader) and need aversion of this document in a more accessible format, please email [email protected] .Please tell us what format you need. It will help us if you say what assistive technology you use.
This guidance is for:
- local authorities
- school leaders, school staff and governing bodies in all local-authority-maintained schools, academies and free schools
- teaching schools
- national leaders of education and national support schools
- national leaders of governance
The Department for Education (DfE) will review the designation of system leaders where they appear to:
- no longer meet the eligibility criteria
- be failing to carry out the role as intended
This process ensures the credibility of teaching schools, national leaders of education (NLEs), national support schools and national leaders of governance (NLGs).
Review panels are school-led and held 3 times a year in the spring, summer and autumn terms. In certain circumstances, reviews may take place at any time. For example, where there is evidence of professional misconduct.
You can submit an appeal if your teaching school or system leadership designation is removed. Appeals must be submitted by the individual or accountable officer – they cannot be submitted by third parties.
If you have any further questions about the review of designation process please contact:
Review of system leadership roles
For further information on the appeals procedure, please contact:
Published 20 November 2017
Last updated 15 October 2018 + show all updates
- ‘System leader and teaching schools review of designation policy’: updated information about the panel communicating the outcome, and the possible outcomes of a review.
- First published.