Jay Mahmood took time out of his busy schedule travelling the world educating hairdressers to give a masterclass in cutting technique to Hair and Beauty students at Cardiff and Vale College.
The Global Creative Ambassador for Cutting at international hair colour and salon support company Goldwell gave two classes for students and staff at the College’s state of the art urbasba salon at its City Centre Campus. Starting with a presentation where he outlined his background and approach, Jay then demonstrated his distinctive cutting style using two students as models.
“We have been really lucky get Jay to at the College,” CAVC Head of Commercial and Retail Enterprise Ceri Evans said. “He usually spends his time travelling the world so for him to visit us is a real treat and an excellent opportunity for both students and staff to see one of the best in the business at work.”
Jay began his career as an apprentice with Sassoon in London and rose rapidly within the company, becoming one of its youngest-ever Academy leaders. He then took the lead at the prestigious Allillion Academy in London, going on to lead shows and seminars around the world where he demonstrates his cutting style. More recently Jay became Global Ambassador for Cutting at Goldwell.
Speaking of his session at CAVC, Jay said: “I’m really happy with today – I think the College does an amazing job; it’s so inspiring. It’s not just about giving the students a skill, the teachers are more like life mentors and life coaches.
“They genuinely care about the direction their students are going in with their careers and I very rarely see that. I am very impressed by the College facilities as well – it’s amazing and probably the best college I have ever been to. The environment is very important and this is inspiration – I am going to come away from here inspired myself. It’s a fresh and really modern set-up.”
Notes to editors
- Photo shows Jay Mahmood with one of the class models, Atiya Hamonda
- Cardiff and Vale College is one of the top companies for Equality, Diversity and Inclusion in the National Centre for Diversity’s 2016 Top 100 Index. It has also been awarded the National Centre for Diversity’s Award for Welsh FE College of the Year 2016
- Cardiff and Vale College was awarded College of the Year at the 2015 and 2016 Insider Business and Education Partnership Awards
- Apply now to join CAVC in Sept 2017
- Why not follow the latest updates from Cardiff and Vale College on Facebook.com/CardiffandValeCollege, Instagram @cavcinsta or Twitter @cavc
For more information contact:
Tel: 01446 725003. Mob: 07932 770938