Art and Design students from Cardiff and Vale College have decorated the New Theatre with their own work to tie in with its 2017 pantomime, Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs.
The BTEC Extended Diploma in Art and Design students were given a live brief to create the works by the New Theatre and Arts Active Trust. The results are on display on all four floors of the theatre.
CAVC live briefs involve learners being commissioned to work for external clients, giving them the opportunity to test and validate their skills in a real working environment. They are designed to give students the opportunity to gain work experience, ensuring that they meet the needs of the job market in their chosen industry when they leave college.
“I absolutely loved working with the New Theatre because I enjoyed creating my magical tree,” Nicole Tarrant, 18 and from Cardiff said, said: “I feel that this project has helped me gain more skills within the creative industries and I am extremely proud of my work.”
Fellow student Ruby Hitchings is 17 and from Swansea. She said: “It’s been such an awesome experience to work with the New theatre. It was a challenging but exciting process and now I am little said it’s over.”
Twenty-year-old Ethan Ball from Cardiff said: “This was a truly unique experience, being given the opportunity to design and create artwork for the theatre is a pleasure. I hope my piece is pleasing to all and helps luminate this beautiful theatre over the holiday season.”
“I had a great time working with the New Theatre,” 17-year-old Evie Taylor from Usk added. “Being able to create our own designs for the public to see has been a wonderful experience.”
“I’m so proud of what I’ve produced and I know I’ll remember it for the rest of my life,” said 19-year-old Kat Turner from Caldicot.
Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs will run at the New Theatre until 14th January.
Notes to Editors
- Photo shows Art and Design students at the New Theatre
- In 2017 CAVC won the prestigious UK-wide Association of Colleges Beacon Award for its innovative and sector leading junior apprenticeship scheme and in 2016 it won a Beacon award for apprenticeship provision
- Cardiff and Vale College is one of the top companies for Equality, Diversity and Inclusion in the National Centre for Diversity’s 2016 Top 100 Index. It was also awarded the National Centre for Diversity’s Award for Welsh FE College of the Year 2016
- Cardiff and Vale College was awarded College of the Year at the 2015 and 2016 Insider Business and Education Partnership Awards
- Why not follow the latest updates from Cardiff and Vale College on LinkedIn: CardiffandValeCollege or Twitter: @CAVCEmployers
For more information, contact:
Tel: 01446 725003. Mob: 07932 770938