From education to employment

NEBOSH Qualification’s to progress your career

Getting a NEBOSH General Certificate Qualification is fundamental part of every health and safety employee’s progression through their career. Even those who are not currently part of the industry find it a handy segue in to a career with more progression opportunities, better pay and increased job security.

So, with such desirable conditions waiting as a reward, attaining a NEBOSH qualification is highly sought after. However, for many, how to go about enrolling on a course and getting the certificate can be a major stumbling block. Finances, choosing the right course and finding the time to study whilst maintaining a job can all play their role in deterring potential students.

Here are our handy tips to help you find a course that fits you best.

What is NEBOSH?

First things first, what exactly is NEBOSH? It stands for National Examination Board in Occupational Safety and Health. They don’t provide SHE courses but instead provide a syllabus of relevant training and exam papers to approved providers. NEBOSH qualifications are professionally recognised and those holding them can apply to use letters after their name such as TechIOSH, GradIOSH, CMIOSH, and MIIRSM.

What is a NEBOSH Certificate?

In short, it’s one of the most popular health and safety qualifications and, as such, is held in high regard by employers, employees and everyone else in the industry. There are no formal entry requirements, meaning it is open to anyone that wants to study for it. It’s divided in to three parts – the first two are assessed by examinations and the final unit is a practical evaluation.

Determine where your Career is Likely to take you

The qualifications come in two forms. The NEBOSH General Certificate Qualification, which is UK-specific, and the NEBOSH International General Certificate, which is – as you might have guessed – internationally recognised. Therefore you need to consider where your career (or personal aspiration) is likely to take you. If you’re from the UK and foresee a career overseas or are a non-UK resident then the international certificate is going to be a good fit for you. However, if you’re remaining UK-based or planning to relocate to the UK from abroad then the national general certificate will be what you need!

Find a Course that Works for you

People coming to get a NEBOSH qualification are arriving from lots of different places. A lot already have a job – albeit full or part time, in or out of the SHE industry – so fitting in all the extra studying can be difficult to do. Of course, individuals all learn in different ways too, so choosing a course that matches your style is paramount to getting the best results.

In order to fit with the busy lifestyles of many people studying for the certificate, courses can be accessed online through e-learning courses to fit study sessions around other life events. This is proving incredibly popular and is the route a lot of people choose to go down. However, some people prefer tutor-lead classes in a traditional classroom environment; there is a range of these available too.

What’s Included in the two Types of Certificates?

Of course there is some cross over between the UK and International specific certificates on offer but there are other variants too. The NEBOSH International General Certificate covers international SHE law and the NEBOSH General Certificate Qualification focuses on UK-based legislation as well as hazards and controls and how best to manage them.

So, having lifted the lid on exactly what comprises a NEBOSH Qualification, hopefully you’ll feel much more comfortable undertaking such a valuable appraisal. 

Related Articles