From education to employment

Guidance for alternative higher education providers on how to apply for specific course designation

DfE logo750x570

Specific course designation is the process for alternative providers to access the following for eligible students:

  • undergraduate student support
  • postgraduate master’s loans
  • disabled students’ allowances (DSA)

DfE grants specific course designation on an annual basis.

This guidance explains:

  • who is eligible to apply for designation
  • the criteria DfE uses to grant designation
  • how to apply for designation
  • the assessment process
  • the conditions designated providers must meet
  • the process for seeking annual re-designation
  • how DfE applies student number controls
  • the sanctions DfE may take if a provider no longer meets the criteria and conditions of designation

An alternative higher education provider is a provider of higher education courses that doesn’t receive recurrent funding from the Higher Education Funding Council for England (HEFCE) or any other public body, and isn’t a further education college.

Related Articles