For anyone considering a career in motorsport engineering, students Jasmine Stuart, Charlotte Bowen, Charlotte Hosick and Dariene Adams are great examples of how women are embracing the subject and pushing boundaries. The girls are just a handful of young women across the province pursuing a career in the male dominated industry.

Jasmine, Charlotte Bowen and Dariene are in the second year of the Level 3 diploma in motorsport engineering course at the College, which is the equivalent to three A levels. While Charlotte Hosick is in first year of the course.

20-year-old Jasmine said that she ‘always wanted to do something out of her comfort zone’ and ‘having been brought up around motorbikes, this was the ideal course for me’. She said that it was also the encouragement from her parents and friends that gave her the confidence to go for what she wanted to do. After completing her GCSE’s Jasmine decided to enol to SERC, as she wanted something ‘hands-on’.

Jasmine said:

“I decided to study motorsports engineering because I love hands-on, practical learning - I find it much easier to remember. This year I’ve been learning skills such as welding and fabrication and I’m really enjoying it. On completion of the course I want to progress to university to specialise in mechatronics or mechanical engineering and studying this course will help me get there.”

However, she said:

"I don’t want to leave SERC as I love it. I have ADHD and dyslexia and at school I was made to feel like a child and there was a stigma around the condition. However, at SERC we are encouraged to ask questions. At school I was told I can’t do this and I can’t do that but at SERC I am not embarrassed to ask for help. I have learnt more at SERC than I ever did at school and I wish I came here sooner.

“I saw the course on the website and decided to apply for it. I then attended the open day and enrolled onto the course. On the first day of college we started learning. It was great.” Jasmine continued, “I’m only 5ft and people think I can’t do this type of job with the heavy workload but my advice to others is just go for what you want to do. There are three females in the class and I have made friends for life, we car share and everyone in the class is like a family.”

After completing her AS levels and not getting the grades she needed to progress to university 17-year-old student Charlotte Hosick decided to enol to SERC to do something she was interested in.

Charlotte said:

"My advice to others is to consider SERC. Visit the campus and speak to the tutors and see for yourself. There is no stereotype of person that attends college. I am a former grammar pupil and my parents encouraged me to follow my passion. The facilities are great and the building is very modern. I wish I came to SERC after my GCSE’s."

Tutor Basil Barnes said:

“I think it’s fantastic to see so many women signing up for what have traditionally been seen as male dominated industries. Young women have the skills and talent to excel in the industry and I would encourage them not to be put off by the male-dominated educational environment. We welcome female enrolments on our courses and would encourage more females to enrol.”

Jasmines mum said:

“For many years, I believed traditional education was the correct way to go for a higher standard education. It was a belief that was in my family for generations. Now, having gained first-hand knowledge of the inner workings of what further education offers I would definitely encourage other parents to consider SERC as a first choice for their children.

I had heard good things about the staff at SERC, and when Jasmine started studying, I could see why. It is an extremely helpful, supportive and friendly environment. As a parent I wanted the assurance that the education Jasmine received would prepare her to survive in the ‘real world’ and give her an opportunity to improve her employability skills in an increasingly competitive job market and SERC does just that.”

College principal Ken Webb said:

“I would encourage more females to study engineering subjects and pursue a career in this exciting industry. Parents play a vital role in influencing their children’s career choice – and they are a vital target audience if we want to inspire more young people to take up engineering-related subjects. I would encourage prospective students and their parents to visit our information day on 7 March from 2pm-8pm to see for themselves what the College has to offer.”

You may also be interested in these articles:

Register, Login or Login with your Social Media account:

Advertisers

Advertiser Skyscrapers

Video Advert

Latest Education News

Further Education News

The FE News Channel gives you the latest education news and updates on emerging education strategies and the #FutureofEducation and the #FutureofWork.

Providing trustworthy and positive Further Education news and views since 2003, we are a digital news channel with a mixture of written word articles, podcasts and videos. Our specialisation is providing you with a mixture of the latest education news, our stance is always positive, sector building and sharing different perspectives and views from thought leaders, to provide you with a think tank of new ideas and solutions to bring the education sector together and come up with new innovative solutions and ideas.

FE News publish exclusive peer to peer thought leadership articles from our feature writers, as well as user generated content across our network of over 3000 Newsrooms, offering multiple sources of the latest education news across the Education and Employability sectors.

FE News also broadcast live events, podcasts with leading experts and thought leaders, webinars, video interviews and Further Education news bulletins so you receive the latest developments in Skills News and across the Apprenticeship, Further Education and Employability sectors.

Every week FE News has over 200 articles and new pieces of content per week. We are a news channel providing the latest Further Education News, giving insight from multiple sources on the latest education policy developments, latest strategies, through to our thought leaders who provide blue sky thinking strategy, best practice and innovation to help look into the future developments for education and the future of work.

In May 2020, FE News had over 120,000 unique visitors according to Google Analytics and over 200 new pieces of news content every week, from thought leadership articles, to the latest education news via written word, podcasts, video to press releases from across the sector.

We thought it would be helpful to explain how we tier our latest education news content and how you can get involved and understand how you can read the latest daily Further Education news and how we structure our FE Week of content:

Main Features

Our main features are exclusive and are thought leadership articles and blue sky thinking with experts writing peer to peer news articles about the future of education and the future of work. The focus is solution led thought leadership, sharing best practice, innovation and emerging strategy. These are often articles about the future of education and the future of work, they often then create future education news articles. We limit our main features to a maximum of 20 per week, as they are often about new concepts and new thought processes. Our main features are also exclusive articles responding to the latest education news, maybe an insight from an expert into a policy announcement or response to an education think tank report or a white paper.

FE Voices

FE Voices was originally set up as a section on FE News to give a voice back to the sector. As we now have over 3,000 newsrooms and contributors, FE Voices are usually thought leadership articles, they don’t necessarily have to be exclusive, but usually are, they are slightly shorter than Main Features. FE Voices can include more mixed media with the Further Education News articles, such as embedded podcasts and videos. Our sector response articles asking for different comments and opinions to education policy announcements or responding to a report of white paper are usually held in the FE Voices section. If we have a live podcast in an evening or a radio show such as SkillsWorldLive radio show, the next morning we place the FE podcast recording in the FE Voices section.

Sector News

In sector news we have a blend of content from Press Releases, education resources, reports, education research, white papers from a range of contributors. We have a lot of positive education news articles from colleges, awarding organisations and Apprenticeship Training Providers, press releases from DfE to Think Tanks giving the overview of a report, through to helpful resources to help you with delivering education strategies to your learners and students.

Podcasts

We have a range of education podcasts on FE News, from hour long full production FE podcasts such as SkillsWorldLive in conjunction with the Federation of Awarding Bodies, to weekly podcasts from experts and thought leaders, providing advice and guidance to leaders. FE News also record podcasts at conferences and events, giving you one on one podcasts with education and skills experts on the latest strategies and developments.

We have over 150 education podcasts on FE News, ranging from EdTech podcasts with experts discussing Education 4.0 and how technology is complimenting and transforming education, to podcasts with experts discussing education research, the future of work, how to develop skills systems for jobs of the future to interviews with the Apprenticeship and Skills Minister.

We record our own exclusive FE News podcasts, work in conjunction with sector partners such as FAB to create weekly podcasts and daily education podcasts, through to working with sector leaders creating exclusive education news podcasts.

Education Video Interviews

FE News have over 700 FE Video interviews and have been recording education video interviews with experts for over 12 years. These are usually vox pop video interviews with experts across education and work, discussing blue sky thinking ideas and views about the future of education and work.

Events

FE News has a free events calendar to check out the latest conferences, webinars and events to keep up to date with the latest education news and strategies.

FE Newsrooms

The FE Newsroom is home to your content if you are a FE News contributor. It also help the audience develop relationship with either you as an individual or your organisation as they can click through and ‘box set’ consume all of your previous thought leadership articles, latest education news press releases, videos and education podcasts.

Do you want to contribute, share your ideas or vision or share a press release?

If you want to write a thought leadership article, share your ideas and vision for the future of education or the future of work, write a press release sharing the latest education news or contribute to a podcast, first of all you need to set up a FE Newsroom login (which is free): once the team have approved your newsroom (all content, newsrooms are all approved by a member of the FE News team- no robots are used in this process!), you can then start adding content (again all articles, videos and podcasts are all approved by the FE News editorial team before they go live on FE News). As all newsrooms and content are approved by the FE News team, there will be a slight delay on the team being able to review and approve content.

RSS IconRSS Feed Selection Page