The government is giving schools extra funding to help improve outcomes for disadvantaged children and other pupils who need extra support.
Pupil premium: effective use and accountability contains separate guidance for school leaders and governing boards.
This is for:
- parents with children in primary or secondary schools
- anyone with an interest in the pupil premium or disadvantaged children
It explains how the government:
- is supporting schools to close the attainment gap between disadvantaged pupils and their peers
- expects schools to use the pupil premium
- holds schools to account for their decisions
Published 18 October 2019
Last updated 30 March 2021 + show all updates
Updated with a link to ‘Pupil premium: allocations and conditions of grant 2021 to 2022’ and added information on the requirements of schools.
Added information about allocation changes from 2021 to 2022.
Updated pupil premium and service premium rates for the financial year 2021 to 2022.
Updated to show the increased pupil premium and service premium rates for the financial year 2020 to 2021.