From education to employment

Animal Care Students Offer Top Tips for Pet Safety this Christmas

SERC Students offer Festive Tips for Pet Safety:(Back) Lecturer, Christine Costello and students Kerry Davidson, Niall McComb, Zoe Spence, Dylan Armstrong, (Front) Aimee Brown, Atlanta Doyle, Bobby the Dog aka “Santa Paws”, Rebecca Dobinson, Tamzin Spence, Shannon Hastings share top tips on pet safety at Christmas and raise money for USPCA during the College’s Festive Fairs.

Level 2 Animal Care students from South Eastern Regional College (SERC) were present at the College’s Christmas Fair in the Lisburn Campus, to spread awareness about the potential dangers for household pets during the festive season.

Christine Costello, SERC Animal Care Lecturer said,

“During the Christmas period, beloved pets are more likely to be exposed to certain foods and objects that are dangerous and potentially life-threatening.

“As part of their course, the students researched the risks to pets and produced a presentation for staff, students and Christmas Market shoppers.”

The students also sold pet treats, held a raffle and had a very special guest at their stand, “Santa Paws”, who posed for photographs with his adoring fans.

All money earned at the stall will go towards the Ulster Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (USPCA).

Top tips from the SERC team include:

  • Do not feed your pets festive favourites such as chocolate, mince pies, Christmas pudding, Christmas cakes and even stuffing. These foods contain ingredients such as onions, sultanas and raisins (derived from grapes) which are poisonous for pets.
  • Considering purchasing a pet friendly Christmas tree (parasol style Christmas trees with an extra-large stem) to avoid your pets pulling down your Christmas tree and potentially choking on decorations, lights and tinsel.
  • There is a lot of milk-based drinks around Christmas. Animals should only be given milk from their own kind; any other type can cause digestive upset. Avoid hefty vet bills and keep drinks out of reach from pets.


Related Articles