This document defines the scope of, and business rationale for, the phonics screening check data collection 2021.
Ref: DfE-00221-2020PDF, 307KB, 22 pages
The 2021 national curriculum assessments, including the phonics screening check for year 1 pupils, have been cancelled.
This specification is intended for:
- suppliers developing software for use in management information systems (MIS)
- local authorities collecting and submitting the phonics screening check data collection
- the business rationale for the return
- changes to the 2021 return
- assessment module descriptions
- methods for importing data into local authorities’ information systems
- XML formats and messages
- validation check information
This guide must be read in conjunction with the current version of the common basic data set (CBDS).
Published 24 December 2020
Last updated 25 January 2021 + show all updates
Added information about the cancellation of the 2021 phonics screening check.