Find postgraduate teaching courses in England if you want to teach in a state primary or secondary school, or in further education.

You can find courses in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.

What you’ll need

Primary and secondary postgraduate teacher training

To qualify you’ll need the following or equivalents:

  • a degree
  • grade 4 (C) or above in English and maths GCSEs
  • grade 4 (C) or above in GCSE science if you want to teach primary

Before you start a teacher training course you’ll also need to:

  • pass numeracy and literacy professional skills tests
  • confirm you have the health and physical capacity to start training

Further education postgraduate teacher training

To qualify, training providers usually prefer you to have:

  • a degree, or relevant vocational or technical qualification
  • grade 4 (C) or above in English and maths GCSEs (or equivalent)

You’ll need a Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) certificate if you are teaching students under 18.

Start now

Before you start

If you’re not sure you have the correct qualifications, check with the training provider. If you studied for your qualifications overseas, contact NARIC to find out if your qualifications are recognised in the UK.

Get advice and support

Register with Get Into Teaching, the Department for Education’s free support and advice service.

A specialist adviser will help you prepare your application and advise you on funding options (including loans and tax-free bursaries and scholarships). You can also book school experience and access exclusive teaching events.