From education to employment

#Brexit preparations for higher education institutions

Advice for higher education institutions in England on how to prepare for Brexit.

The EU Settlement Scheme

Inform any students or staff who are EUEEA or Swiss citizens that they need to apply to the EU Settlement Scheme to continue living in the UK after 2020.

Read the EU Settlement Scheme guidance to find out who needs to apply.

Use the toolkit for employers to help your employees.

Irish citizens’ right to live in the UK will not change when the UK leaves the EU. Irish citizens do not need to apply for the EU Settlement Scheme, but their family members who are not Irish or British citizens will need to do so.

Staff from the EU arriving after Brexit

Read employing EUEEA and Swiss citizens and their family members after Brexit.

There will be no change to the way EU, EEA and Swiss citizens prove their right to work until 1 January 2021. This remains the same if the UK leaves the EU without a deal.

Irish citizens will continue to have the right to work in the UK and prove their right to work as they do now, for example by using their passport.

You should continue to conduct right to work checks on all prospective employees to comply with the codes of practice on the prevention of illegal working and the avoidance of unlawful discrimination.

Student finance

Tell prospective and current students how they can find out if they are eligible for student finance and how they can make an application.

EUEEA and Swiss nationals, within the EU Settlement Scheme, will stay eligible for student financial support.

Irish nationals will continue to be able to access further and higher education courses in England. This includes access to home fee status and student support, on meeting the relevant eligibility criteria.

EUEEA and Swiss citizens starting courses in England in the 2020 to 2021 academic year or before, and their family members, will remain eligible for undergraduate and postgraduate financial support and Advanced Learner Loans for the duration of their course, if they meet the residency requirements.

We will give details of fee arrangements for prospective EU students ahead of the 2021 to 2022 academic year and subsequent years.

Students living in ScotlandWales and Northern Ireland should contact their student funding body for more information.

UK nationals studying and living in the EUEEA or Switzerland can find more information about the rights of UK nationals and student finance arrangements in a no deal scenario.

Data protection

Read data protection for education providers to find out how to remain compliant with data protection laws after Brexit.

EU Funding


You should continue to deliver any Erasmus+ and European Solidarity Corps (ESC) projects that are contracted.

If we leave with a deal participation in Erasmus+ will continue until 2020.

You may no longer receive EU funding for Erasmus+ and ESC projects if there’s a no-deal Brexit.

Read our guidance for more information and register to claim from the government guarantee.

Horizon 2020

If you get funding from Horizon 2020, or are considering submitting a bid, you should refer to the Horizon 2020 funding if there’s no Brexit deal guidance.

Mutual recognition of professional qualifications

There will be no change for people who have received recognition of their professional qualifications on or before 31 December 2020, if the UK leaves the EU with a deal

Read the guidance on qualified professional services for information on recognising professional qualifications if there’s a no-deal Brexit.

Citizens’ rights agreed with the 4 European Free Trade Association (EFTA) countries (Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland), will apply if there’s a no-deal Brexit.

These agreements include recognition of professional qualifications held by these countries’ nationals and UK nationals:

Travel to the EU

Find information on the actions you’ll need to take before arranging travel to an EUdestination, if the UK leaves the EU without a deal.

You should also follow the NHS advice on access to healthcare for UK nationals studying or travelling abroad.

Check the foreign travel advice pages for the latest updates. You can also sign up to receive email alerts for the country you are travelling to.

Read the advice for organisations, businesses and individuals in the creative, cultural, and sport sectors if you are arranging travel to the EU with sports, exhibition or other equipment.

Read the guidance on preparing to drive in the EU after Brexit for bus and coach driversif you are preparing to travel to the EU by coach.

Study in the EU

Read the advice for students and citizens who want to study higher education in any EUcountry after the UK leaves the EU.


Advice for higher education institutions in England on how to prepare for Brexit



Preparations that higher education organisations should be taking to get ready for Brexit.

It is for:

  • universities
  • higher education institutions
  • UK citizens with an interest in the HE sector

Published 31 January 2019
Last updated 19 August 2019 + show all updates

  1. Format updates have been made to highlight actions that people need to take. A link has also been added that allows people to sign up for email alerts to get the latest information about Brexit.
  2. Updated information for higher education institutions in England on how to prepare for Brexit.
  3. First published.

Related Articles